Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Unknown - Chapter 2a - by nova

Chapter 2a

I skirted the edge of the houses. I had no desire to catch a round because someone found me threatening. I did, with great difficulty, restrain my self from stomping a small mixed breed dog who dogged me for all but the last 100 paces yapping mindlessly and shrilly.

A young man came out of the house on my left and watched me walk on by. He didn't seem friendly but he never pointed the AK he was carrying at me either. I waved, he scowled, and the fucking dog yipped. When I crossed the cattle guard at the bottom of the hill I flipped yappy the dog off, paused to check out the view again and get a feel for the place. Nothing off was in the air so I climbed the wooden stairs into the "office" and stepped inside.

I wished I hadn't almost immediately. It was hotter than Hell inside that metal box. The guy on duty was behind a wooden desk, his feet up on it, and he was sound asleep. Was there something in the air here? Was the fed gov spraying a sleeping agent in the air as prep for the invasion? It couldn't be that dead here?

I mulled evil ways to wake him up starting with kicking his feet off the desk but I quickly disregarded that one because I was afraid my boot would fall apart even more if that was possible. I ran through a couple more, decided the Hell with it, and sat down in the chair in front of his desk.

"Hey sleepyhead!"

Unfortunately he didn't fall out of his chair. I momentarily regretted not busting a cap or pulling the desk out from under him. His, "Oh shit!" wasn't bad but it was thin gruel to what could have been.

"Who the Hell are you?"

I just stared at him.

His bluster and anger drained out him in about 3 beats. In a completely different tone of voice he asked me "Can I help you sir?"

"Any chance I can get a ride into town?"

1 comment:

  1. You're writing so fast I don't know if you'll even see this comment... but anyway, way to go!

    It's like the reservoir has been recharged and you're letting to flow like a fire hose.

    It's good stuff, but you know that. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    D2

    ReplyDelete