Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Unknown - Part 1c

The Unknown - Part 1c

He wasn't looking all that reassured but he told me, "Sure" and settled back down on his rock after yelling at the dogs to get back on the job. The sheep? It was a nonevent as far as they were concerned.

I settled down next to him on the rock. I kept his bike between us. No need in making him any more nervous than he already was.

"So how's the sheep ranching working out?" I asked him.

"He laughed and told me "It's the family business" and shrugged.

For a second the thought that this might be an awkward conversation flashed through my head. It wasn't. The kid wanted to talk. He was seriously lonely.That was okay with me. I needed data.

"How did you get here? Are there more of you? Do you have a horse? You got some nice gear! Where did you get it? Is that body armor?"

I sighed. I hated multiple questions slung at me like that.

"You got a name?"

"Oh yeah. I'm Al. Al Tsingine. That's short for Alfred. It was my Grandfathers name."

Damn. This kid was a puppy. "That was a lot of questions Al. You have any water?"

He blinked, and smiled, the kid was a smiler but his people generally were, "Ah sure. Sorry. I've been out here for 7 days and ..." He didn't finish it. He didn't need to. I was supposed to know the rest. I could have answered, "Yeah? I've been out here for 12 days by myself and I have enjoyed it. Well, yesterday I got horny but other than that I don't have a problem with it." I didn't. He didn't need to know. Plus I wanted to keep him talking and getting him weirded out wouldn't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment