Friday, November 5, 2010

American Apocalypse I - The New Edition

I pulled American Apocalypse I from distribution today.Why?  For a number of reasons.  The new version  Ulysses Press is releasing will be available in March 2011.  The old version, well I grew tired of all the complaints about the poor grammar, spelling and general editing.  I decided to pull it earlier than I had planned so people who are interested in the book will end up with the new version. Last week I saw the edited version and was amazed.  It's the same book but it isn't if that makes sense. Different enough that I felt embarrassed.

What if I have the old version? Ulysses Press is releasing AA I as a mass market paperback in the US, UK, and Canada. If the book is successful, which I think it will be, you will own a collectors copy.  The quality of editing, and perhaps writing, is better in AA II.  Hopefully the same can be said about Gardener Summer and AA III.

I also pulled the rough draft of AA I. Why?  I no longer own it.  I was also running up against the maximum number of posts Google allows you here.  I did archive it so all your comments have been saved. Below is the new cover and Ulysses description of the book.  Thanks.



This is a fast-paced, action-packed thriller set in America after the complete socioeconomic collapse. Although an innocent casualty of the chaos, one young patriot must discover his inner strength and defiant courage as he comes of age learning how to survive in the wasteland of anarchy and mobs violence. With the economy in free fall, the government crippled by indecision, the streets taken over by desperate mobs, and the fragile institutions of civilisation crumbling, America suffers a full-scale collapse. Amid the destruction and anarchy, a young man finds himself homeless and alone on the outskirts of Washington, D.C., facing certain death unless he can master survival skills he never imagined needing. An innocent casualty of the chaos, this young patriot must discover his inner strength and defiant courage as he comes of age in the desolation of the country's crumbling capital. Fending off violent citizens in a wasteland of looting and mayhem, the protagonist emerges as an ultimate force of justice in a lawless land. This compelling, fast-paced novel pulls readers in and lets them experience firsthand what life in the United States will be when its teetering society finally falls.

Edit: I also would like to say that without your comments and participation in all this that none of it would have ever happened.  The mass market edition keeps the same acknowledgment to you that was in the original.For all of you have who have posted your comments over time and helped me so much I will gladly send you a signed copy of AA I when it comes out. You know who you are. E-mail me.

37 comments:

  1. Im glad to hear AA is moving nova. nice Sword :)

    uce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey uce!

    Yeah. It looks like it might actually sell or that's what the early feedback is from the publisher.

    Yep. It is a nice Sword. :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance at getting autographed copies once it comes out?

    Jim in Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty awesome looking cover, and that sword is awesome!

    -TheDreamer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreamer,

    Yeah. They even have a crow on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Nova! Do you know which bookstores will sell AA I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. D^2,

    I think all the chains and a lot of independents. They pitched it to them and said the response was phenomenal. Supposedly, probably maybe it may even end up in airports too.

    Send me an email and I will send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallelujah! Your writing will receive the place in public discourse that you deserve! That is to say, a nationwide, if not worldwide franchise!

    Before you get so famous that you eschew us, I implore you to meet me at a public place of your choosing to sign my two pristine copies of American Apocalypse! Pleeezzzeee?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Nova, It is really great to watch your success with the series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please see the edit on the post.

    Thanks Jonathan.

    Zapo, Sure. Plus a copy of the new AA I sound good? You were a major reason why I kept plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slick. Love the cover. The description is a bit repetitive (as if several versions of a sentence were written and all were included) but is compelling.

    Do I get a copy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah. They are going to rewrite it. I found a spelling error in it too. Me of all people.

    Plus I thought the "doesn't give out bio for security reasons" a little over the top.

    Sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i really hope this gets big and we can get AA2 and 3 in mass publication. those are my favorite parts of the story

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey NMD!

    Yeah. I like AA II and Gardener Summer. The last part with Thor was fun to wite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sigh...just got back from driving 340 miles...write

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you going to keep it published under Nova? And where are your book signings going to be? I'll have to make a point of getting to one

    -TheDreamer

    ReplyDelete
  17. TheDreamer,

    Yep. Still nova. I don't know where or even if I will be doing book signings. I did start getting it together for the next AA writing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were just a bit ahead of the times, nova. Well done as always - apropos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nova, I'm glad your work of art (and it is most definitely an art form) is moving forward and becoming available on a wider market. I hope you equal or greater successes with your sequel books as well.

    Any idea on when you're going to move forward with Gardener Summer and/or a parallel book for the other factions?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks FSHB

    LA Confederate,

    Thanks, So do I. :}

    Gardener Summer is out for the Kindle. No paper version anytime soon. AA III might be done by early Dec. The revised version of AA IV I will start writing here in Dec.

    The Chosen and The Mover? I want to go back to them. I also have some other ideas floating around in my head. The problem is finding time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everyone who has posted a comment on this thread so far can have a copy of AA I (New edition) if they send me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, a real mass market paperback! This implies a certain legitimacy; even respectability.

    I bought the book on a whim, figuring it was a vanity edition with a cult following. Was expecting caricatures and predictable scenarios. I was surprised to find first-class storytelling. Characters with enough charisma and depth to draw me in. Intriguing plot points that I hadn't expected. Overall, not on the level of "War & Peace" (nor was it meant to be), but up there with the best of Mickey Spillane. AA ought to be able to find a wider audience, if the word gets out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. maynardgk,

    Respectability? I doubt that. Thanks for reading. I liked the Spillane comment. I see my writing as a cross between telling people a story by the fire and old school pulp fiction. Nothing to get an English professor excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, AAI, et al. would get some of the [liberal] English professors arenound here 'excited' ie: frothing at the mouth!

    wes {evil grin}

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats Nova! AAI-IV is such a great story and i'm absolutely glad i got to read it as it was coming out! I also can't wait to see what comes next in AAV! (winks at nova) Anyway i've been away from reading for a couple months so looks like i have some catching up to do! good luck with the sales! oh and the new cover is great!

    -Yerubbaal

    ReplyDelete
  26. With respect to those English professors...Mr. Marquart speculated that the liberal English professors would be troubled, but I'm not sure it's that simple. AA is actually rather detached from the political issues or personalities of the day. These are tales of people, not politics. To the extent that English professors might be put off, I think it's more likely they find this sort of material beneath them. Personally I think the AA stories are well-crafted, much better than a lot of published material, so students could do worse than study them. But I'm not a professor, so my opinion doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
  27. yerubbaal,

    Thanks! Actually AA IV is going to be AA IV. Most of IV went into III. I hope you like that II.

    ReplyDelete
  28. maynardgk,

    Actually you opinion matters more than theirs. At least here it does.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Finished AA I on Kindle last night and immediately jumped into AAII. Amazing, addictive and very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anon,

    Thanks for reading! Please leave a review if you can. I have been killed lately with 1 star reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nova, It has been awhile since I dropped in. My copy of AA1 has gone through half a dozen hands and all liked it,there were some criticisms of the spelling,but all agreed it was a fine story. I am glad you have a good editor and think you may well end up with some groupies...cute ones.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm not sure that reviews are relevant at this moment, since AA-I isn't for sale. And the update, when it appears, will have a new listing, so the old reviews won't be applied. AA-II reviews matter less, since AA-II will go out based on how people felt about AA-I. Positive reviews are encouraging, but do they do you any good right now?

    ReplyDelete
  33. By the way, at this moment the cheapest copy of AA-I see listed on the Amazon "used" list is $87.89. I do see one on ABE for a mere $47.95. Hmmm, first I missed my chance to load up on gold, and now this. So I'm stuck with my one copy; my most precious possession! Looks like I'm doomed to end up one of those tree people, or maybe an ant person or worse. However, on the positive side, the book did remind me to update my tetanus shot.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tom,

    Yeah, wait until they meet the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  35. maynardgk,

    All the reviews will roll over to the new book. So yes they make a difference. Also good reviews, even if it has been pulled, help bookstores decide if they want to order the new version.

    ReplyDelete
  36. maynardgk,

    Actually your opinion [does] count - because it is [yours] - an individual opinion is the most important thing on earth.

    I was just referring to the [local] English profs around here... I was thinking of some of the [concepts] in the books would get their knickers in a twist...

    I should have left out the part about them being English profs... that really doesn't bear on the matter of their exciteability.

    In some cases (Not all) their thinking is binary: Pacifism-Good/Self Defence-Bad, Individualism-Bad/GroupThink-Good, Acorn-Good/Conservative-Bad, ThemePark-Good/Camping-Yuck!

    The last I've seen and experienced with a few of them... a 10 day, canoe camping trip to the Boundry Waters. We were in two parties... Our group spent the whole time having a ball! Their party called it quits on the 5th day...

    Taught me a lot.

    ReplyDelete