Tuesday, November 23, 2010

American Apocalypse IV - Chapter 4c - by Nova

I had stood up without thinking about it. Sheriff Smiley was looking amused.  Sheriff Smiley wouldn't look so amused if I had put a bullet in his head. I looked over at Zane who had been listening intently to all this. "What do you think?"

He shrugged, squinted his eyes a bit, damn if he didn't look like his dad when he did that, and said "Will it get me to my mom faster?"

"Yeah. I think so." I also wished he had stuck with a simple "Okay or no way."  Sheriff Smiley may smile a lot but that little piece of information didn't get past him. He didn't say anything but I knew.  Instead he said "We can do this a couple ways. I can give you directions or you can follow me over there."

"Directions would be fine." I was done with him. It was time to move on.

He gave them to me and I thanked him.  We walked out without him. About halfway across the parking lot I quietly told Zane "Never give strangers more information than a yes or a no." Then I cuffed him lightly upside the head.

"You mean when I said we were going to meet my mom?'

"Yep."

"Sorry sir."

"Don't call me sir. Call me G. It's what my friends call me."

Then I tried to cuff him again but he was too fast and dodged it.

No comments:

Post a Comment