Tuesday, January 11, 2011

American Apocalypse IV - Chapter 15c - by Nova

He went, sobbing every step of the way.  I went around the truck and found Zane where I thought I would.  I told him "Toss the phones and gear out the door."

"Gardener?"

"Yeah?"

"Does Woof eat everyone?

"I haven't seen him eat any Black people yet."

"No..." His voice trailed off. "I mean is he bad like those people are?"

"No. Though lately he has been pretty worthless.  Get moving. I want to get out of here." 

I yelled at Woof "Get your ass in the truck Woof!"  He just looked at me and went back to working on detaching Jesus's left leg below the knee. Juan was watching this and it was making him most unhappy.  He might have been good with the young chickens but he wasn't impressing me. 

Woof wasn't moving.  I shrugged, slammed the gate shut, and got in the cab.  Zane was looking at me all worried "Your not leaving Woof?"  

"No kid. Just seeing how fast he can run."

We rolled out moving slow. Slow enough that I could look back over my shoulder and watch Woof look puzzled while Juan got up and moved towards the pile we had left. Zane was watching with me and yelling "Woof! Woof!"  That did it. Woof got to his feet with the leg bone clenched in his jaw and came running.  Juan saw Woof, screamed and went running head long into a picnic table. "That had to hurt" I told Zane.  Woof landed with a thump in the back and Zane and I laughed so hard I had to stop driving for a couple of minutes.  It's the little things like that that make life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment