Friday, January 14, 2011

American Apocalypse IV - Chapter 16d - by Nova

The place was empty. I thought "Everyone had shown up to watch the fight and get their tickets punched." I laughed to myself. I really cracked me up sometimes.  I found a cardboard box and began loading it up with what looked worth taking from the kitchen. There wasn't much.  I walked back to find Zane sitting in the same place I had left him, my .38 on the table, his arm around Woof and the dead already attracting flies. 

I set the box on the table, slipped the .38 into a pocket, and told Zane "Go through their pockets, look for keys, we need a new ride."

He hadn't looked up at me when I came in and he wasn't responding to what I told him to do.  I bit back my irritation, took a deep breath, and dropped to a knee so we were all at the same level. "Zane." He twitched but he didn't look at me. "Zane." He slowly turned his head to look at me and I saw he had been crying. In the softest voice I could manage I told him "Zane. It sucks. I know. Your Mom is somewhere around here. I need you to help me find her."

He looked at me blankly and I watched as he came back to reality. It took longer than I wanted but he did.  I got a nod from him and "I'm okay."  I doubted that but all I needed was him functioning.  "Lets change up. I'll look for the keys. I want you to go pour their drinks from the bar on the floor. Do the same for any alcohol you can find behind the bar. Okay?"

"Got it."

"Okay." I slapped him on the shoulder and stood up ignoring the twinge of pain in my hip. "Let's do it."

We did it.  I tossed the handguns from the bodies in the box with the food I found.  It ended up full.  I found a couple of sets of keys with clickers. I was going to drive all night and hope for the best. Not much of a plan but it was about all I could think of. I wasn't all that much of a plan guy anyways.  

8 comments:

  1. "I wasn't all that much of a plan guy anyways. "

    :D you could say that again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least they didn't stick around to roast marshmallows around the bonfire. (They did set the place on fire, right?)

    Too bad Zane can't drive yet, they could have abandoned the truck in the woods further down the road. Even with that, multiple one-shot kills sort of narrows down the talent list if the Feds cared enough to track Marshal Gardener down. I'm sure they would make him fill out reams paperwork. And then give him a medal for taking out those damn militia-terrorists.

    He hasn't done anything to bring down their wrath yet. He's always killed bad guys. They had to expect that when they gave him the badge.

    The only question in my mind is whether these redneck rangers had enough influence to get a full tank of gas.... but maybe there's still some in the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No rifles? No gold in the cash register or the safe in the back room? Come on nova,gardener has done a bit of looting in the past,won't he at least check the trunks of the cars to see what's there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, they haven't set it on fire yet. Actual time passed since the last shot was fired is maybe 15 min.

    Don't worry. He isn't done procuring unneeded resources yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding, Nova. Thank you for sharing it with us the way you do. I hope you enjoy writing it as much as I enjoy reading it.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. K,

    When it is really working its a high

    ReplyDelete
  7. The horde needs rifles, not that Gardener would really think about that, but Night probably tried to drill it into his head, not that he really cares other than keeping her happy.

    A squad weapon would be just the ticket to making Night *really* happen, and if this militia is more than just 'good ol boys' they'll have one stashed somewhere close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy, lol, happy . . . not happen

    ReplyDelete